My new i7 Build is done.. After 4 months.. PCB is the name of the machine, all my machines are named after electronic components.
I wanted to do something different (for me) so I ended up water cooling an i7 and fully modded the system, custom paint job, custom sleeving ect. I've put a lot of effort into this its also caused me a lot of annoyance, over all it was fun. It also looks good... oh and its very quiet ( that was the original requirement)
- Intel Core i7 950(3.06ghz)
- EVGA x58 SLI LE
- 12gb kit of OCZ platinum 12800mhz
- EVGA Nvidia 285 Super clocked
- Areca 1222 8 port SAS card
- 4x 1TB Western digital RE3's
- Pioneer BDC-S02 Blu-Ray burner
- Coolermaster Cosmos S case
- Zalman Multi-fan Controller
- Zalman ZM850-HP PSU
- Logitech Cordless Desktop MX5500 Revolution
- Rolan Edirol UA-25ex 24bit/96khz (coming soon)
Cooling specs :
- Heatkiller 3.0 LT
- EK GTX-285 v2 GPU full cover block
- Laing-DDC 3.2 (18w) 12v Pump
- XSPC DCC pump top
- XSPC 3x120mm Dual pass radiator
- Bitspower black sparkle compression fittings.
- Coolermaster Red led "silent" fans ( there not silent, but quite)
- Red tubing ID 3/8"
- Silver Kill coil.
- Distilled water ( no additives)
Under full load with fans on low speed and a room temp of 30c I've not gone over 43c on the CPU cores and 45c on the GPU cores. No over-clock. I am pretty happy about that that! I am sure I could get it cooler with the fans at full noise but I really hate fan noise.
OS Specs :
- 4x 1tb Disks in Raid 10 array (2tb usable space)
- Gentoo 64bit, kernel 2.6.30. Disks in LVM and EXT4 file system ( of course Linux...)
- Xfce 4.6
I am not finished the final kernel config yet! (although current config works I think I can optimize it more) I want a fast light low memory desktop I've achieved this currently with base apps my desktop eats 600mb of ram.
Color scheme of the build is red and black. The Cosmos S got a custom black paint job on the inside only, bare metal looks ugly! All power cables,fan rpm and data cables are sleeved with red sleeve. Over 50 meters of it... All Fan, RPM and Led cables are hand made by me.
All power cables are made to fit by hand by me. PSU has been modded to only have PCI-E and motherboard power, all devices will run from modular plugs. I chopped out the unneeded ones from the PSU to make it look neater and so that all other devices would be on custom modular cables. All warranty has been void on that PSU....
You can see a work log of photo's from start to end on my flicker
Hears a sample :